Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day, etc.

Yesterday, my family gathered to celebrate Mother's Day. One of my sisters (I have three, two of whom are local to me now, as is my mom) had a bunch of us over, and her husband made an amazing meal, as he always does. Like most of our family gatherings, it was very laid back and relaxed, and fun. Good food, and good company.

Now, not only was Sunday Mother's Day, but Saturday was my mom's birthday. Yes, she gets to celebrate two things at once typically. But this year, as she's reached her 80th birthday, we did something special. A couple of weekends ago, ALL of her kids and grandkids (one of whom is about to have the first great-grandkid) gathered with her at a nice hotel in Baltimore's Fells Point area, and had a great dinner in a nice little restaurant. Afterwards, we went for a walk around the neighborhood, and then just hung out and talked a while. It was nice... having the whole gang together in one place. Doesn't happen very often.

But the greatest thing about it all is my mom. She's 80 years old and sharp as a tack. And still getting around under her own steam... heck, sometimes I'm not sure I can keep up with her! And on top of it all, she volunteers for an organization that provides transportation and other small services for folks who can't get around themselves. Pretty amazing lady she is.

And finally, yesterday was also about saying goodbye to my nephew Mike, who is off to boot camp with the Coast Guard. He's a great guy, with a wicked sense of humor... which he realizes it's best to keep to himself for the next couple of months! We had great fun kidding him about the various rules and regulations he is faced with now, but we also all wished him well on this. I'm sure parts of it will be very trying, but I'm also sure he's going to do great.

And today is a beautiful spring day... clear skies this morning, crisp air, and warming to the low 70s. Woo hoo!

1 comment:

Scott Clark said...

"Like most of our family gatherings, it was very laid back and relaxed, and fun. "

< monty python > Wot's it loik? < /monty python >

;-)