Wednesday, May 30, 2007

First Paid Frame Job!

That's right folks, I just completed my first paid frame job. A simple one, really, brazing on a set of brake cable housing guides on the top tube, and bottle bosses on the seat and down tubes. The customer was really happy and excited to get his frame back, and he's off to the powdercoater now. I particularly enjoyed having this one as my first job, as the frame was a 1980 Trek 412 frame, the same as the one I have had for 27 years now, only smaller and a different color. Interesting coincidence, this one was originally bought from the exact same shop where I bought mine. Small world. Actually, given how relatively unknown Trek was in 1980, there weren't very many shops carrying them. Hard to believe, when you see what a juggernaut they have become.

Anyway, I had a good time doing the work, and learned a few things along the way. And I had my first experience dealing with Nova Cycles Supply, who were my source for the cable guides. Great product and great service. Nice folks to boot!

It's a small beginning, but here's hoping it leads to bigger things.

No comments: