Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Rites of Spring

Well, today was the first big day of garden work, at least for me. Annie absolutely loves everything about gardening. It's not as big a "thing" for me, but I do enjoy it sometimes... getting out in the air, doing some good honest work with my hands (and back), and contributing to something that will bring us wonderful food and lovely flowers as the season progresses.

Today was roto-tilling day. And it was my first time doing it. Wow! I was amazed by a) how easily this machine chewed up soil to a degree we never achieved by hand, b) how hard it is to actually control a roto-tiller, and c) just how tired my arms, shoulders, and hands got! I reached the point where I had to take a break, because I couldn't grip the clutch lever tight enough to engage the clutch.

All in all a much faster and less back-breaking process, but still a pretty taxing process. I'm glad I don't do this every day!

But the garden is looking great! The soil is dark and healthy looking, and we even got as far as creating rows and putting up some poles and chicken wire for peas. Woo hoo!

Now I need a hot shower or long soak in the tub.

No comments: