Monday, June 16, 2008

They're back!

And who am I referring to?

All of those lycra-clad cyclists who have returned to the multi-use path I commute on. The ones who were nowhere to be seen in January and February... or really at any time since about late October! My guess is they either hang up their bikes entirely for the winter, or use them on an indoor trainer... something I've tried time and again, but never can seem to enjoy. I'd rather be out in the cold and wet than staring at a wall, going nowhere, indoors. But lots of folks prefer the trainer to being outside in the winter, so I end up having the path mostly to myself in winter.

But now they are back, along with lots of runners, walkers, strollers, rollerbladers, and other users of the trail. And it's a mixed blessing... It's nice to have company of sorts, and I do like seeing folks getting out and enjoying themselves. But it's also feeling kind of crowded out there, and now's the time of year when I start seeing bad behavior. It's a pretty broad range, from dogs poorly controlled to moms with strollers in a bunch blocking the path from edge to edge... but the ones that bother me the most are my fellow cyclists. Many of them zoom past others with no warning.... and many weave in and out of other groups of people, with barely enough room to avoid a collision.. if everything goes right! I keep waiting to see someone misjudge, or do something unpredicted, resulting in a pile up. I just don't understand why it is folks can't just wait a few seconds until it's safe to pass. Then again, maybe it just mirrors our behavior in cars... how many times have you seen crazy close calls?

So, I am more alert now... glad for the company... but cautious.

No comments: