Sunday, January 21, 2007

A Day About Herons

Today, Annie and I joined a Sierra Club sponsored walk along the Potomac River, just outside of DC, in Maryland, as part of preparing for a 50K walk on the C&O Canal that we plan on doing in late April. It was a lovely walk today, alternating between trails and the C&O towpath, and going for about 9 miles. As we walked along the canal, we repeatedly came upon one or the other of what appeared to be the same pair of Great Blue Herons. It became a regular routine... one of us would spot the bird ahead, either on the ground or in a tree, and then, when we got close, it would take off and fly majestically westward along the canal. A little while later, the whole thing would repeat again, with one or the other of the birds. I believe it was a male and a female, as their size and markings were noticeably different. Lovely birds, Herons... one of my favorites. Reminded me of some walks in northern Arizona.

Near the end of the walk, it started to snow... and we now have a nice dusting on the ground, finally. Unfortunately, my snow bike is currently sitting in the basement at work, so I'll have to get to work some other way tomorrow to bring it home. I'm happy to see it snow though... it finally looks like winter out there.

1 comment:

Erik Hardy said...

Tim,
Just came across your blog. I live in Colorado now but grew up out in the Shenandoah Valley and have been on the C&O canal many times. Enjoyed the heron post and can understand the attachment to cats. I was never much of a cat guy until my wife adopted our cat Owen. He is a house cat, but escaped and was gone for 2 days. I spent more time cruising the neighborhood on my bike looking for that cat than my wife did. You dont realized how attahced you get until they are gone. Good luck with the 50k walk. Mainly just wanted to let you know I like the blog and to keep it up. I also enjoyed the info on all of your bikes. I have an old Schwinn Le Tour that I rescued and am trying to decide what to do with it. It is currently a Fixie, but I am thinking to turn it into an all around commuter.