Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Treat For the Senses

I just got in from a night walk, and I have to say, it was lovely out there. A night full of sights, sounds, and smells. Crisp, cool night air lends itself to such things, doesn't it?

Just a quick cataloging of the sensory treats -

The smell of a lumberyard... I'd forgotten how delicious the scent of cut wood is.

Remarkably bright stars for a suburban sky... with one bright planet among them.  No idea which one.

Spotting the white-flag tail of a number of deer as they ran away at my approach.

The scent of one of those deer that let me approach closer than most.

Now and then, that strange sizzling sound high voltage power lines make.

The smell of someone's early season fireplace smoke.

Sitting quietly at the bank of a small stream, listening to its many voices, tumbling over rocks.

The quiet peace of a solitary night walk.

No comments: