Thursday, May 1, 2008

HONK!

Nope, not a rant about motorists vs. bicyclists, although I'm sure one of those will come eventually.

No, today's post is about the odd couple I saw on Tuesday... on the roof of Bikes@Vienna, where I work...

I was taking a customer's bike out for a final check ride, when I heard the distinct sound of a goose close by. I looked around, and there he was, sitting on the roof.


At first I had no idea what he was carrying on about, with his insistent honking... then I looked at the roof of the neighboring building... and saw another goose, which I am guessing was his mate. She was just sitting quietly, looking around at the town, as near as I can tell, as sunset approached, not really paying a lot of attention to the other goose.



And then John brought Java, his labrador, downstairs... and she was immediately, acutely aware of the presence of waterfowl nearby. She planted herself right by the front of the building, looking longingly up at the roof! It took quite a bit of cajoling to get her to go inside.

1 comment:

Erik Hardy said...

Tim,
I have been enjoying the blog. I wanted some advice if you would not mind. My wife and I are hoping to come back to the east coast next month and cycle the Skyline Drive. I grew up in the Shenandoah Valley so the Skyline Drive has a special place in my heart. I believe it will be too much headache to transport our bikes back east, so I would like to rent two road bikes. My mom has agreed to drive support, so all my wife and i have to do is ride (plus it will be great to incorporate my mom in the experience). I checked out your shop website and it looks like you dont rent road bikes. Would you recommend a good source for bikes (i dont care about fancy, only reliability).I would need an XL frame, 63cm or so and my wife is a pretty standard 54cm or 56cm.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Email(modified to avoid the spammers; just do the typical @ and . changes) forthardyatcomcastdotnet

Thanks,
Erik